Was Franklin D. Roosevelt?
Was Franklin D. Roosevelt of Jewish origin?
Replying to Christopher Jones, Hank Greely writes: "Hank Levin beat me to the (proverbial only) punch. Christopher Jones has outdone himself in this post, reflecting an anti-semitism through a message that would have done Father Coughlin proud in the 1930s. Note first that no one has yet come up with any evidence to contradict my post concerning Paul Bremer's non-Jewishness. German Jews, like non-Jewish Germans, sometimes had location based names (as did the English, who probably produced the "Hill Town" descriptor that probably underlies Ronald's last name). Note how Jones then tries to deflect the discussion to an apparent claim that Franklin Roosevelt, (and presumably Theodore, his cousin), was Jewish. How many scores of thousands of anti-semites, FDR haters, and full-fledged Nazis (including Hitler) would have loved to show that? And how many genealogists love to research the family histories of presidents?
Yet we find, in several easily reached genealogies on the web, the Roosevelts going back to at least to a Claes Martenzsen von Rosenvelt ("of the rose field") who came to New Amsterdam from Holland in 1649 and died in 1658. See http://worldroots.com/brigitte/dynasty.htm as an example. There are no records about Claes in Holland; FDR apparently once joked that he must have been a horse thief. There were rumors from anti-Roosevelt forces that Claes might have been Jewish; FDR said he had no idea: "Where he came from in Holland I do not know, nor do I know who his parents were. . . . In the dim distant past they rnay have been Jews or Catholics or Protestants -what I am more interested in is whether they were good citizens and believers in God; I hope they were both." Assume, for the moment, despite a complete lack of any evidence to support it, that Claes was born Jewish. He was FDR's great-great-great-great-great grandfather (5 greats). That means he provided 1/128 of FDR's DNA - under 1%. But it must have been the Jewish looking DNA. This would be silly if it did not play into such ancient and deadly hatreds. I look forward to Jones's evidence that Stalin was Jewish. Or, for that matter, to his discussion of his own 128 great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents (all most likely born in the early 1700s and his proof that none of them were Jewish".
[This is a commentary on Christopher Jones' message: "Family names based on cities sounds suspiciously Jewish or at least converted. In fact there are thousands of examples of this starting with Irving Berlin. Roosevelt, which in German would translate as Rosenfeld, is a very Jewish sounding name. Although Franklin Roosevelt certainly did not look very Jewish, his slavishly pro-Jewish policies and blind trust in the Soviet criminals in and around and including Stalin would tend to confirm his Jewishness"."
RH: In England politicians were greatly respected. When I came to the US in
1937, the Commonwealth Fund put me in first class on the "Samaria",
the only time I have traveled first class on a liner. Franklin D. Roosevelt
was very popular in Europe. I was stunned by the vehemence with which my first
class Americans companions denounced Roosevelt as a traitor to his class. As
for his Jewish origins, it should be remembered that Amsterdam was a Jewish
center, and that many Jews emigrated from there to New Amsterdam (New York). Certainly an individual should be judged by his deeds. His religion is significant only in so far as it affects his actions. For WAIS, that means his foreign policy. For example, Mayor Koch of New York made wild accusations against the US because of the criticism of Israel voiced there.
Christopher Jones "performed an easy Google search of "Franklin Roosevelt"+"Jewish ancestry." My efforts turned up a total 671 hits. There are obviously some people in the world who think that the Roosevelts were of Dutch Jewish ancestry. Not that I could care -- I wish to make that perfectly clear. But to start firing "anti-semitic" when what we are talking about is common knowledge appears over-wrought, It appears very clear that FDR surrounded himself with socialist Jews even when he was Governor of New York, and many were appointed to top jobs in the Roosevelt administration:
1. Bernard M. Baruch -- a financier and adviser to FDR.
2. Felix Frankfurter -- Supreme Court Justice; a key player in FDR's New Deal system.
3. David E. Lilienthal -- director of Tennessee Valley Authority, adviser. The TVA changed the relationship of government-to-business in America.
4. David Niles -- presidential aide.
5. Louis Brandeis -- U.S. Supreme Court Justice; confidante of FDR; "Father" of New Deal.
6. Samuel I. Rosenman -- official speechwriter for FDR.
7. Henry Morgenthau Jr. -- Secretary of the Treasury, "unofficial" presidential adviser. Father of the Morgenthau Plan to re-structure Germany/Europe after WWII.
8. Benjamin V. Cohen -- State Department official, adviser to FDR.
9. Rabbi Stephen Wise -- close pal of FDR, spokesman for the American Zionist movement, head of The American Jewish Congress.
10. Frances Perkins -- Secretary of Labor; allegedly Jewish/adopted at birth; unconfirmed.
11. Sidney Hillman -- presidential adviser.
12. Anna Rosenberg -- longtime labor adviser to FDR, and manpower adviser with the Manpower Consulting Committee of the Army and Navy Munitions Board and the War Manpower Commission.
13. Herbert H. Lehman -- Governor of New York, 1933-1942, Director of U.S. Office of Foreign Relief and Rehabilitation Operations, Department of State, 1942-1943; Director-General of UNRRA, 1944 - 1946, pal of FDR.
14. Herbert Feis -- U.S. State Department official, economist, and an adviser on international economic affairs.
15. R. S. Hecht -- financial adviser to FDR.
16. Nathan Margold -- Department of the Interior Solicitor, legal adviser.
17. Jesse I. Straus -- adviser to FDR.
18. H. J. Laski -- "unofficial foreign adviser" to FDR.
19. E. W. Goldenweiser -- Federal Reserve Director.
20. Charles E. Wyzanski -- U.S. Labor department legal adviser.
21. Samuel Untermyer -- lawyer, "unofficial public ownership adviser" to FDR.
22. Jacob Viner -- Tax expert at the U.S. Treasury Department, assistant to the Treasury Secretary.
23. Edward Filene -- businessman, philanthropist, unofficial presidential adviser.
24. David Dubinsky -- Labor leader, president of International Ladies Garment Workers Union.
25. William C. Bullitt -- part-Jewish, ambassador to USSR [is claimed to be Jonathan Horwitz's grandson; unconfirmed].
26. Mordecai Ezekiel -- Agriculture Department economist.
27. Abe Fortas -- Assistant director of Securities and Exchange Commission, Department of the Interior Undersecretary.
28. Isador Lubin -- Commissioner of Labor Statistics, unofficial labor economist to FDR.
29. Harry Dexter White [Weiss] -- Assistant Secretary of the Treasury; a key founder of the International Monetary Fund, and the World Bank; adviser, close pal of Henry Morgenthau. Co-wrote the Morgenthau Plan.
30. Alexander Holtzoff -- Special assistant, U.S. Attorney General's Office until 1945; [presumed to be Jewish; unconfirmed].
31. David Weintraub -- official in the Office of Foreign Relief and Rehabilitation Operations; helped create the United Nations; Secretary, Committee on Supplies, 1944-1946.
32. Nathan Gregory Silvermaster -- Agriculture Department official and head of the Near East Division of the Board of Economic Warfare; helped create the United Nations.
33. Harold Glasser -- Treasury Department director of the division of monetary research. Treasury spokesman on the affairs of United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration.
34. Irving Kaplan -- U.S. Treasury Department official, pal of David Weintraub.
35. Solomon Adler -- Treasury Department representative in China during World War II.
36. Benjamin Cardozo -- U.S. Supreme Court Justice.
37. Leo Wolman -- chairman of the National Recovery Administration's Labor advisery Board; labor economist.
38. Rose Schneiderman -- labor organizer; on the advisery board of the National Recovery Administration.
39. Jerome Frank -- general counsel to the Agricultural Adjustment Administration, Justice, U.S. Court of Appeals, 1941-57.
40. Gerard Swope -- key player in the creation of the N.R.A. [National Recovery Administration]
41. Herbert Bayard Swope -- brother of Gerard
42. Lucien Koch -- consumer division, N.R.A. [apparently-Jewish]
43. J. David Stern -- Federal Reserve Board, appointed by FDR
44. Nathan Straus -- housing adviser
45. Charles Michaelson -- Democratic [DNC] publicity man
46. Lawrence Steinhardt -- ambassador to Soviet Union
47. Harry Guggenheim -- heir to Guggenheim fortune, adviser on aviation
48. Arthur Garfield Hays -- adviser on civil liberties
49. David Lasser -- head of Worker's Alliance, labor activist
50. Max Zaritsky -- labor adviser
51. James Warburg -- millionaire, early backer of New Deal before backing out
52. Louis Kirstein -- associate of E. Filene
53. Charles Wyzanski, Jr. -- counsel, Dept. of Labor
54. Charles Taussig -- early New Deal adviser
55. Jacob Baker -- assistant to W.P.A. head Harry Hopkins; assistant head of W.P.A. [Works Progress Admin.]
56. Louis H. Bean -- Dept. of Agriculture official
57. Abraham Fox -- research director, Tariff Commission
58. Benedict Wolf -- National Labor Relations Board [NLRB]
59. William Leiserson -- NLRB
60. David J. Saposs -- NLRB
61. A. H. Meyers -- NLRB [New England division]
62. L. H. Seltzer -- head economist at the Treasury Dept.
63. Edward Berman -- Dept. of Labor official
64. Jacob Perlman -- Dept. of Labor official
65. Morris L. Jacobson -- chief statistician of the Government Research Project
66. Jack Levin -- assistant general manager, Rural Electrification Authority
67. Harold Loeb -- economic consultant, N.R.P.
68. William Seagle -- council, Petroleum Labor Policy Board
69. Herman A. Gray -- policy committee, National Housing Conference
70. Alexander Sachs -- rep. of Lehman Bros., early New Deal consultant
71. Paul Mazur -- rep. of Lehman Bros., early consultant for New Deal
72. Henry Alsberg -- head of the Writer's Project under the W.P.A.
73. Lincoln Rothschild -- New Deal art administrator
When any religio-racial group comes as close as American Jewry has to dominating the financial, cultural and political life of a nation while representing a fraction of its population, it is a cause for concern. The gentlemen listed above participated in a government that literally kowtowed to Josef Stalin. Why? I have pointed out in the past the fact of Israeli dual citizenship and the influence of prominent Zionists in big media. The almost mindless US policies of both Democratic and Republican administration towards Israel against the obvious interests of the whole American population are for me leading the US towards a terrible disaster. I would like repeat that I admire many Jews from Maimonides to Judah Benjamin and Disraeli, but I cannot turn a blind eye to the "special moral standard" that was set in place in 1945. The longer people refuse to recognize the dangers of this situation, the more likely a disaster will take place".
RH: I agree with Christopher that suppressing these facts is censorship. However, using the word "socialist" in a derogatory sense is like the similar misuse of "liberal". During the Great Depression it was clear that the capitalist system had broken down, and that something had to be done. However, I did not agree with Roosevelt's solution, which involved slaughtering livestock and `ploughing crops under when millions were going hungry. It is interesting that Bernard Baruch is first on the list. Winston Churchill had money problems, and Baruch repeatedly bailed him out. Churchill's hatred of Nazism was undoubtedly sincere, but this reinforced his determination. Is there a study of Churchill's finances? As Christopher says, we may be moving toward a terrible disaster. He has a right to his opinions.Re: Was Franklin D. Roosevelt of Jewish origin?, Ross Rogers, Jr. says: "It would be of great interest if you could request some one to research the Delano family and their sources of wealth".
Was Franklin D. Roosevelt of Jewish origin?. Christopher Jones writes: "I
could not care less if FDR was Jewish or Martian. But I would like to point
out that in Europe, FDR is despised among some historians as an outright idiot.
His complete faith in Stalin gave this continent 40 years of the Iron Curtain,
shootings on the Berlin Wall, massive outlays for defence and the Berlin blockade.
Ah, but don't you dare attack an American icon! As for the Jewish influence
in the Bolshevik revolution and the fact that Jewish operatives were used by
the NKVD to assassinate White exiles in Paris, I will leave it to another posting".
Was Franklin D. Roosevelt an idiot?
Harry Papasotiriou asks: "Would Christopher Jones be so kind as to provide the names of some European historians who consider FDR as "an outright idiot?" I have rather different impressions from my readings of books by European historians". Randy Black says: "Relative to Mr. Jones’ comment that “some” European historians consider FDR an idiot because he trusted Stalin, what, pray tell is the opinion of Europeans regarding FDR. Let’s use Europeans beyond the age of 58? In the end, a historian is just that. One individual who studies history and offers his opinions to students on occasion. It is the opinion of the public who fought or were part of WWII or its aftermath that interests me more. I daresay that their opinion are somewhat more positive.
Is the matter of trust of Stalin by FDR relevant? The US was coming out of a double war, on many fronts. What were FDR’s options? I will borrow from Jon Mecham: “The reality of Yalta is that both men--not just Roosevelt but Churchill as well--came away believing that they could trust Stalin. The legend is that FDR caved to Stalin and Churchill saw the truth. The fact is that, as Averell Harriman noted, the responsibility for the cold war lies with Stalin, not with either of the leaders of the democracies. The Red Army was deep in the West; there was nothing FDR or Churchill could do about that. And as Stalin once remarked, the power with a military presence on the ground someplace always imposes its own political system there. ...I believe that FDR understood politics to be a neverending story, an unfinished work and that he would have kept after the Soviets had he lived. And Churchill came back from Yalta saying that while Neville Chamberlain thought he could trust Hitler and was wrong, he (Churchill) thought he could trust Stalin and would be right. He wasn't, and became a great and noble cold warrior. But in the personal warmth of Yalta, both men took what turned out to be a vastly overoptimistic view". Jon Meacham wrote, Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship (Random House, 2003). RH: I do not know who is right, Meacham or the many historians who say Churchill was not fooled by Stalin.
Harry Papasotiriou asked Christopher Jones to name a historian who said Franklin Delano Roosevelt was "an idiot". Christopher's reference to "dusty tomes" is unfair because Harry is a political scientist concerned with the contemporary world, and I am sure his books have not collected dust: "Harry Papasotiriou should take his nose out of dusty tomes and flick on Arte TV. Every Wednesday there is a "Soirée thématique" called "Les rencontres avec l'histoire." If he had watched the discussions and documentaries a few months ago dedicted to Yalta, he could have heard the disparaging comments about FDR more than once -- I do admit that I was slightly taken aback by their frankness in the face of the camera. If he wishes more on who and when, I will have to dig out the dates and participants. As more Mr Black, I agree with him that historians do not count for much. The people are far more important, and those old enough are certainly very disparaging about FDR's legacy. Mr Black's comments remind me of just how much Americans yearn to be loved. Franklin Roosevelt's rebuff of peace offers from the German officer corps were, in my judgement, one of the most cruel and petty minded decisions of the entire 20th century -- bordering on criminal aggression. His belief in socialism as a cure all for the US depression, his pandering to Josef Stalin, and finally his early blind approval of Jewish rage against the Germanification of the German economy show that his objectives were not "altruistic." I am sure that these remarks will spark the rage of those close to Likud Israel and the Zentralrat; so be it. Finally Ross Rogers wanted to know the origins of the name "Delano." I can tell you: it means "Double Crossing." Source Father Charles Coughlin".
RH: "Those old enough"? My good neighbor and contemporary, Sidney
Raffel, is one of many Americans who lived through the Roosevelt period and
revere him. The Europeans I left in 1937 were generally great admirers of Roosevelt,
and I was stunned by the hatred of him prevalent among those travelling first-class
on the "Samaria". They would have applauded Christopher's remarks.
Ronald Hilton -